From November 1, 2023, every Australian aged over 65 is able to receive free protection against shingles with Shingrix being the preferred vaccine. This initiative is part of an $800 million investment in immunization, designed to safeguard the health of our senior citizens. The previously funded Zostavax will no longer be available after 31 October 2023.
What is Shingles?
- Shingles is a viral infection caused by the reactivation of the chickenpox virus and typically presents as a painful, blistering rash on one side of the face or body that lasts 10-15 days
- One in five people who gets shingles may develop severe and long lasting chronic nerve pain known as post-herpetic neuralgia
- The risk of shingles and severity of the rash and neuralgia increases with age, making Australians aged 65
Who is eligible?1. Adults aged 65 years and over (>50 if Indigenous), including those who have self-funded the first dose of Shingrix
2. Those aged 18 years and older, who have previously been unable to have Zostavax due to a weakened immune system (see image below for specific conditions)
- Due to a government delay in being able to order vaccines, appointments for Shingrix can only be made from December 1, 2023
- Those who have received the Zostavax vaccine cannot receive Shingrix for 5 years.
- If you have experienced shingles, you can receive a shingles vaccine after 1 year.
Movember – A Reminder of Men’s Health
As we enter the month of Movember, it’s an important reminder to prioritize men’s health. Movember is a movement that encourages men to grow mustaches to raise awareness about issues like prostate cancer, testicular cancer, and mental health. It’s a gentle nudge for men to engage with their healthcare providers, schedule regular check-ups, and take charge of their well-being. Regular check-ups and open conversations with your GP can make a world of difference in early detection, prevention and managing health issues.
Reminder of Clinic Closure
Just a friendly reminder that the clinic will be closed Saturday 25th and Sunday 26th November due to Software Upgrade works