Breastfeeding & Postnatal Care
- Supplements – Please note you may wish to start taking a pre-conception Folate supplement (usually 500mcg folate) and Iodine supplementation in the month prior to conception, or as soon as you see a positive pregnancy test until the end of pregnancy or as advised by your GP.
- If you eat a balanced diet, you are unlikely to require regular multivitamin supplementation during your pregnancy.
- Genetic Carrier Tests – You may wish to discuss with your partner and consider having a carrier genetic screening test (preferably done before they get pregnant), and women can organise this themselves via the Victorian Clinical Genetics Service (VCGS).
- Further general and reliable information at the Royal Women’s Hospital Website
Our Medical Shared Care Team
Dr Cora Mayer
(MBBS (Hons), FRACGP, DRANZCOG, MPH&TM)
Dr. Cora Mayer provides advice on fertility issues, prenatal planning, and testing, antenatal shared care, travelling while pregnant, postnatal and newborn examinations.
Cora has worked at The Royal Children’s and The Royal Women’s Hospital and obtained her Diploma of Obstetrics there in 2001.
She has worked in pregnancy shared care at Sandringham Hospital since 2007, and has a Masters of Public Health with advanced training in Travel and Tropical Medicine.
Availability: Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays.
More information at Dr Cora Mayer
Ready to book an appointment? Please click here or Phone 9583 1630
As a new mother you may be having trouble with breastfeeding or other postnatal issues, we understand it can be a challenging time and can help if you need us. Bayside Family Medical offers a range of maternal and child health services to support you through those first few months and beyond.
Postnatal Care Services
- 6-week check-up for mother and baby
- Maternal mental and physical health
- Infant sleep issues assessments
- Childhood Immunisations
- Pediatric check-ups
- General medical issues of the mother and baby
At our sister clinic Bluff Road Medical Centre, we also have an experienced GP Lactation Consultant to help you with everything from feeding and sleeping problems.
- Antenatal lactation consultations (preparing for breastfeeding/discussing previous breastfeeding issues)
- Nipple and breast pain
- Nipple and breast infections, including mastitis, abscess, and thrush
- Nipple vasospasm
- Blocked ducts
- Nipple conditions like cracks, white spot, and dermatitis
- Position and latch issues
- Slow weight gain in the breastfed baby
- Breastmilk oversupply and undersupply
- Infant fussiness at the breast
- Infant oral assessment including the release of tongue-tie (where such a procedure may assist breastfeeding)
- Maternal medications in breastfeeding
- Induced lactation or re-lactation
- Issues related to the introduction of solids and weaning
Dr Anita Bearzatto
MBBS(hons), FRACGP, IBCLC
International Board Certified Lactation Consultant
Dr. Anita Bearzatto is one of the few doctors in Melbourne who is also a lactation consultant. Dr. Anita can provide specialized advice to support new mothers to achieve their breastfeeding goals, while also diagnosing and prescribing medications where necessary. Dr. Anita is happy to assist with any lactation issue, from positioning problems through to more complicated lactation issues requiring investigation and medical treatment. She can perform postnatal (6-week) check-ups for mothers and babies and advise about physical and mental health issues of new mothers. Dr. Anita can also assess the baby’s concerns including unsettledness, hip, heart, skin, or skull abnormalities.
Availability: Tuesdays and Thursdays at Bluff Road Medical
More information at: Dr Anita Bearzatto
Frequently asked questions about lactation and breastfeeding on our blog.
Ready to book an appointment? Please click here